Life story retold by Kim Reynolds
Sarah was one of the four daughters of James Herman and Sarah Watts Herman. Her other siblings were Elizabeth, Ellen Louisa and Kate, and she also had a brother, William.
She was born 20 October 1859, baptised at St Giles, Reading on 13 Nov 1859. She lived with her parents during their lifetimes. In 1881 and 1891, she was an (assistant) Coffee House Keeper with her mother. In 1911, she was living with her married sister, Kate Longhurst and her family, at 117 London Street, Reading. In 1939, she was living with William James and Alice Sophie Herman (schoolmaster and schoolmistress – her brother) at 37 Balmore Drive, when she is described as Housekeeper (retired).
I can’t find a death record for her.
She is buried with her family at Reading Old. Names of the family are listed on both sides of the grave monument.
- England and Wales Censuses, 1841-1911
- 1939 England and Wales Register
- Birth, Marriage and Death Civil Registration Indexes
- Baptism, Marriage and Burial Records
- Newspapers: Reading Mercury, Meat Trades’ Journal and Cattle Salesman’s Gazetteer, Reading Observer, Reading Standard, Reading Evening Post, Westminster Gazette, Pall Mall Gazette
Buried in Section 49, Row A, Number 9