Life story retold by Kim Reynolds
Sarah Watts née Bye was born in Reading. She was living with her parents and working as a laundress in 1851. Sarah married James Herman in 1854. She is recorded as a Coffee House Keeper in both 1881 and 1891. She died at 25 Crown Street, Reading, 8 April 1894 (Reading Mercury, 14 Apr 1894).
She is buried with her husband, her daughters (Martha Ann, 4 years and Lucy, 3 months), parents and sister in Reading Old.
- England and Wales Censuses, 1841-1911
- 1939 England and Wales Register
- Birth, Marriage and Death Civil Registration Indexes
- Baptism, Marriage and Burial Records
- Newspapers: Reading Mercury, Meat Trades’ Journal and Cattle Salesman’s Gazetteer, Reading Observer, Reading Standard, Reading Evening Post, Westminster Gazette, Pall Mall Gazette
Buried in Section 49, Row A, Number 9