Life story retold by Kim Reynolds
Ellen Louisa was one of the four daughters of James Herman and Sarah Watts Herman. Her other siblings were Elizabeth, Sarah and Kate, and she also had a brother, William.
As her siblings Ellen Louisa was born Reading, baptised St Giles 12 Jan 1862. She was an Assistant School Teacher in 1881, living with parents. Then she appears as an Assistant Coffee House Keeper in 1891.
In 1895 she married Henry Albert Alder Nutley (18 July 1865-1940). In 1911 they lived at 16 Franklin Street, Reading, and he was a Commercial Traveller in Brass & Hardware, for House Builders & Contractors. They had no children by this time.
She died 6 October 1920 in the Royal Berks. Their address at this time was 172a Friar Street. She left effects worth £441 0s 6d, and William James Herman, schoolmaster (her brother) was the executor.
Her husband was described as a retired wheelwright in 1939, living at 100 Donnington Gardens, which was still his address on his death in 1941 but he died at 344 Oxford Road, Reading, leaving £54 19s 3d.
- England and Wales Censuses, 1841-1911
- 1939 England and Wales Register
- Birth, Marriage and Death Civil Registration Indexes
- Baptism, Marriage and Burial Records
- Newspapers: Reading Mercury, Meat Trades’ Journal and Cattle Salesman’s Gazetteer, Reading Observer, Reading Standard, Reading Evening Post, Westminster Gazette, Pall Mall Gazette
Buried in Section 49, Row A, Number 9 [possibly]